Mike Staniford is a contemporary abstract landscape painter. All of his paintings start with drawings made on location, sometimes quick intuitive sketches, others longer, more observed studies. Whilst he may start by making quite figurative drawings, he is essentially looking for that dialogue with the landscape, refiguring the geographical elements and shifting the compositional structure.
“I don’t wish to give you a formal view but moreover to re-envision the shapes and forms I see before me; actions that are deliberately spontaneous and to make shape and colour paramount in my work. To distill down the complexity of a scene and abstractly express the unfolding landscape. To give you a sense of the emotion, as well as the topography of the land”.
Select Art Prizes:
• Mosman Art Prize selected finalist 2002
• Hunters Hill Art Prize selected finalist 2017
• Lethbridge 10000 Art Prize selected finalist 2017
• Adelaide Perry Prize for Drawing selected finalist 2018
• Fleurieu Biennale selected finalist 2018
• Gosford Art Prize selected finalist 2018
• Muswellbrook Art Prize selected finalist 2019
• Lethbridge 20000 Art Prize selected finalist 2020
• Pro Hart Outback Art Prize selected finalist 2020
Exhibition: Summer Salon – January 2021